Monday, April 04, 2005

Almost had drain taken out

Today has been one of those down kind of a days. Haven't had one of those days in awhile. I'll try to summarize it just so down the road I can look back and say "geez, I made it.!"

Dr. Henwood's office called me back in the morning. I had asked that Dr. Henwood remove the drain since it's not draining much and due to it being so uncomfortable. Since Dr. Henwood was in surgery today, I was told that his nurse Lorrie would be able to do it for me. She said to stop by at 1:30 p.m.

I woke up with a headache so I rested on couch until about noon. Then Barry suggested that we go get something to eat before the doctor's appt. so we went to Suburban. We then went to the doctor's office to see Lorrie. I brought along some twizzlers for the office.

Lorrie attempted to remove the drain, but it wouldn't budge out of the whole. It was so painful. Words can not tell you how bad that felt. What she said was usually an easy thing to do, proved otherwise. It appeared that something was stuck, making it impossible for her to pull it out of the sutured area. She called him at the hospital to tell him. He told her that she could attempt it again, otherwise he would do it in the a.m. She came back and once again tried. She could see that both she and I were uncomfortable in pursuing this anymore. The pain just wouldn't go away. It was a constant pain, like a nerve being touched or blood pressure being taken and not letting go.

And unfortunately, I had not taken any pain killer before going, and they had none in the office. It was a very long ride home. I immediately took a pill and went to bed. Shortly after laying down, my brother Doug called to check up on me. Needless to say, I was in bad shape and wasn't able to talk to him. I must have layed there for over 2 hrs. without moving just to attempt to meditate the pain to go away. I hesitated in taking a second pill since one usually does the trick. I did speak to the Dr.'s office and he called me back at about 5 p.m. He did say that a second pill would be OK, if anything it may cause nausea or make me feel dopier. My sister Maureen also had called me during this painful time. I wasn't able to talk to her that much either. My neighbor Janet called me too. She invited me to go for a walk with her. Had I not been so down and out, I would have taken her up on her generous offer. Next time...

Did forget to tell you something. I found out that the dr. removed 6 lymph nodes and the pathology report showed NO CANCER in them! That's good news.

By about 5:30 p.m. I felt like the medicine had finally kicked in. I was a bit more comfortable.
I called my sister back so that she could relay the news to my family. Maureen said that she took it upon herself to email my friends about me having a bad day. That was so nice of her to do. Thanks to all who sent me their positive energy. Today it was needed quite a lot.

So, hoping for a better day tomorrow. I did hear from Linda E. at my job today. She said that having her drain removed was also a painful experience for her also. At least it's not just me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Janester...

You are pillar of strength. Stay focused! You'll be on the other side of this before you know it.

I don't know about this "tube won't come out" predicament, maybe we can get Congress to pass a law stating it “has” to come out. Hopefully, the Courts won’t intervene and make you have to keep it in! Look out your window and see if a vigil has begun yet. ( are people who go to vigils…vigilantes? Hmmm…we could be into something here…better give Randall Terry a call.

(a little political humor to amuse you)

Tim