Friday, April 22, 2005

Barry hospitalized

Yes, Barry was admitted to hospital a little after midnite last night with the following condition:

Atrial Fibrillation: irregular heartbeat.

This is the sequence of events in a brief form.

I checked my email a bit after 10 p.m. and I find an email from him (he had been working) which stated the following: I haven't felt well tonight. Heartbeat feels out of sync, but no pain.
I quickly replied that he should see doctor. His reply was Feel like I'm out of breath but I'm not.
I then told Maureen what he was saying since she is a RN. Her first words were just what he was diagnosed with. I called him at work, said we would go there to check his pulse but he said no. He said he couldn't leave work because he had to get the paper out. Did get mad at him because I thought health was more impt. than printing a newspaper. He said the shift would end soon and he would be home.

He got home by midnite. Maureen checked his pulse and it was irregular. I called Dr. Uberti who was on call and he said take him to ER. Just from walking into house from truck he was out of breath and sweaty.

Yesterday at about 2 p.m. he had a thryoid sono done for upcoming appt. with endocronolgist.
Dr. said could be related. Person doing test did lots of pushing on tyroid. He now remembers feeling not right after eating after this test. But it was at work at about 6:20 p.m. that things became apparently not well. Had walked up just few stairs and was out of breath. Even sitting down didn't help.

Went right to ER, hooked up to monitor and heartbeat quite irregular. Up to 144 at times. On IV to bring it down, but still irregular. Need to convert it, make it regular. Barry's intention had been to go to bed and see dr. in a.m. Had he done that, he would be in serious condition today. Thank goodness I made the call to dr. and took him to ER. He was admitted to hospital and is on different meds to make it regular and to monitor.

Will keep you posted. I didn't get home until 3:30 a.m. Have only slept about 5 hrs. A long day.
They say lemons make lemonade, well I don't want to make or drink any more lemonade!
Please also now pray for Barry and his quick recovery. Could be in hospital a day or so, depends on getting heart beat regular.

And also thank goodness for my family still here.

10 a.m. Have called hospital and Barry. His heart beat has not converted. Has seen his dr. already today. Cardiologist also met with him. May need to be shocked by cardio conversion procedure since not regular. Remaining on blood thinner to prevent stroke. Has already had gall bladder sonogram, a problem that he has been postponing on checking out.

Tim, Maureen and I went to see Barry for a couple of hrs. around lunchtime. Was getting ready abdominal CT scan. While there, Dr. Toth stopped by for exam. He had a scheduled appt. for this coming Tuesday, so therefore will not need to see her then. Says thyroid condition is OK for now, continue same meds and see her in 4 months. No need to biopsy. Tim was happy since he was able to eat cafeteria food. The good news was that while she was examining him, the heartbeat became regular! Just needs to stay that way.

Upon going home, we ate lunch and I immediately went to nap. Mentally exhausted at this point. But am glad his heartbeat became steady. Just called him at about 4 p.m. and it's still steady. He continues to have blood drawn and tests taken. I'll go back this evening to see him.

5:30 p.m. Barry calls to tell me he has bad news. Different tests that were taken show nodules on his lung and liver. I was driven to the hospital immediately by Maureen, along with Tim to see him. Needless to say, this was unsettling news to hear after all I/we've been through.

Nodules or what is seen in tests could be scar tissue/fatty tissue/benign tumor or the last alternative. Earlier in the day I had thought irregular heartbeat was bad, how things can change in a couple of hours.

Not going to write down all details as very personal for Barry. Just please continue to pray for us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was shocked to here about Barry. I have called and put him also on the prayer list at church. Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

Praying for Barry. God will get you through this...not somehow...triumphantly!!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

just read all your updates. we will all be praying for barry. i will give don all the news when he gets home..

Anonymous said...

...after awhile, drinking lemonade can be quite exhausting.

Keep focused on what's important...and keep those positive juices flowing.

Barry will be fine...once he gives up those double orders of fried wings with a side of cheese fries!

TimBa

Anonymous said...

Hope everything goes well with Barry!

Anonymous said...

jane, iam here by my self and can barely see the letters i wish more then any thing i was in front of you know i would give you a big hug and with that i would CRY like i am now it hurts me so much to see this happening to you guys now , i dont mean to be unpositive or any thind but it really hurts my heart with alot of tears now.please dont be mad at me,its just eating me alive right now. and i dont know what to do , iknow i should be say ing everthing is going to be all right ,you dont need to hear this .but YOU GUYS ARE LIKE FAMILY TO ME .AND WHEN MY FAMILY IS IN THE HOSPITAL ,I HURT IN SIDE AND BE THERE FOR YOU AND HUG YOU AND SAY I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH.PLEASE READ THIS TO BARRY ,WHEEN YOU SEE HIM AT THE HOSPTAL OK.PLEASE GIVE HIM A HUG FOR ME .INEED TO STOP NOW AND HAVE ACRY AND LET IT OUT .IT IS SOMETHING I NEED TO DO NOW PLUS I THINK I MISSPELLED FOR I COULD NOT SEE THE RIGHT LETTERS.SO I HOPE YOU UNDWESTAND SOME .I LOVE YOU BOTH VERY MUCH KEEP ME POSTED OK. BY THE WAY ,HOW ARE YOU AS I READ YOU ARE A VERY STRONG LADY ,I WISH I WAS .DONNA CUTRONE