Saturday, April 16, 2005

Inspirational People at Relay for Life

This is just a brief posting for the Relay for Life that we attended at Westminster College. Will alter it later when time permits.

This was such a moving experience for me, one that will remain in my heart forever. It's funny to say this, but this illness called cancer is a blessing in disguise from God. Had I not been given this illness, I would never have met such wonderful and inspiring people yesterday and in the past month. Today I was able to spend time with 3 wonderful ladies: Joanne S., Jody K., and Sara who are all breast cancer survivors. As we began the survivors walk, we had to announce our name/type of cancer and how long we had been a survivor. Needless to say, I was the shortest time period of being a survivor. The one that has stuck out in my mind is Sara who is a 20 year old college student at Westminster who is a 3 year survivor of leukemia. She came down with the disease right after her sweet 16th birthday and was undiagnosed for a whole year. Thought it was meningitis. What an inspiring beautiful girl. Actually went to her prom bald with stickers on her head. Such a positive uplifting person. It was on the survivors walk that I came to meet Jody and Sara. After the walk I also was approached by Jody K. (a mother of one of Tim's classmates) as she had heard my name. She had breast cancer 5 years ago and has been through a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. Not easy stuff but a very strong woman. Joanne S. (another mother of one of Tim's classmates) is also a breast cancer survivor who met and gave me a hug at the end of the walk. She arrived a bit late due to family obligations. She walked with me the last part of the walk. In talking to these women on and off the track, I learned that wearing of wigs is often uncomfortable and most just went bald or wore scarves. I also learned that there is such strength and power in talking to people through these rough times.

It was such a beautiful day for this rally at Westminster College. I was able to get email addresses and names for my new friends and we will be able to keep in touch with each other. As you can see, cancer is not kind to any age but it sure does make you a stronger person.
The darkness of the evening made it possible to view our lumanaria lights with people's names who have had cancer and are alive, and for ones who are no longer alive. I was able to see lights with my name, Sara's name and Linda G's names. What a great site. The evening ended with fireworks at 10 p.m. It was a long day but a very rewarding day. I took so many pictures but will only post a couple on the blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...you're a changed person there Jane-O!
I'm really happy that you've turned this experience into something positive in your life.

I spent the last two days working on NIFTY and my body hurts in places I didn't know existed, but I can't compalin because of what you've had to endure.

Taking the honda out for ride in about 1/2 hour after the battery charges up. I'll be thinking of all those great rides you Barry and I took.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

jane,ijust read thatletter about those three women what caught my eye the most was that 20 year old that went to her prom with sticks on herr head ,it brought a BIG SMILE to my face.i take my hat off to her and a SPEACIL HAT off to you,i know how much of a strong person you are,also how strong your family is to ,with all of that and also your friends to always be there for NOTHING WILL STOP YOU FROM STANDING TALL ALWAYS.what could be any better than that.jane always know even know we live far a way ,you will ALWAYS FEEL ME IN YOUR EAR.THATS THE WAY TO GO.always know that jane see you later,say hello to your family for me.your friend,donna cutrone

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane!

I just wanted to say that meeting you yesterday was a highlight for me! Having been through the Survivor walks at Westminster for the last several years has been wonderful, and meeting you yesterday and getting to know you and your situation was one of my favorite memories. You are very, very strong. I could tell just from meeting you and talking to you in such a short period of time! God has a plan for you, Jane. You are just beginning this journey. You will be amazed at His blessings for you. It is so true that He only gives us what we can handle. I look forward to getting to know you better and becoming "bosom buddies" :-)